Friday, January 16, 2009

Getting my Sun Oven


I recently received my Sun Oven and was pretty skeptical at first. It seemed like an interesting concept, but getting the necessary heat without using electricity or gas seemed far-fetched. I had talked to some other Utah residents who had used it, so I figured it would be worth a try. I set it up the first time at about 3:45 in the afternoon, just to see how hot I could get it. It would go above 130 degrees, but I was assuming because it was winter and the sun was getting pretty low in the sky by that time.
I figured I would try it on a Saturday when I was home during mid-day. I set it out in my backyard on top of my patio table (which had a nice 1" layer of ice and snow on it) and let it pre-heat. After about 30 minutes it was at 325 degrees, which is what my brownie recipe called for. I had my kids help me mix it up and then placed it in an 8x8 cake pan then stuck it in the oven. I set the timer for 50 minutes, because that was what the recipe called for. However, my wife needed me to run to the mall to buy her a new shirt because we were getting family pictures taken that day, so I didn't get back to pull them out of the Sun Oven until 75 minutes after I had put them in the oven. In a conventional oven, that would have been some pretty burnt brownies, but I was surprised to find my brownies pretty moist and well cooked throughout.
I shared the brownies with my inlaws and around the office the next Monday. I had filmed my endeaver and it can be viewed from the video bar on the side of this blog. Needless to say, it did work and both my wife and I think it is pretty cool and can see some real practical applications for the Sun Oven and emergency preparedness. Check em out, if you haven't yet, and see about getting one. They are cool (though they get hot) and fun to use, I just have to plan a little further in advance when I plan to use it.
I'll keep posting and sharing my experiences, and trying to add some videos to the blog, too. So keep checking back.

No comments:

Post a Comment